Weekend Happenings

Friday night, since my friend Paul was in town to celebrate his birthday, I ventured out to the bar Marvin in U Street. Marvin is supposedly a hip, new place to go in DC. In my opinion, Marvin has an over-inflated sense of its self worth. First, they didn’t want to let me in because I was wearing shorts. Guess what? It’s June in DC, and its hot out so I’m wearing shorts. They also don’t serve such beers as Bud Light, and they yelled at Paul when he placed his beer on a stool saying it might get knocked over. While some people might consider Marvin to be wonderful, this was my second time at this snooty, expensive crap hole, and If I can help it, I will not be setting foot inside there again.

Fortunately, Paul decided that he wanted to sing karaoke, so the two of us, along with Canadian Mike headed over to Peyote Cafe in Adams Morgan. Paul and Mike were wary of my plan to sing “I Want it That Way” by the Backstreet Boys, but after seeing us croon, the two sisters they had been talking to apparently thought they were soulful or something. Since there were only two sisters, and I am currently not on the market, I decided to head home and leave them to their conquests.

Normally, the trip home is long and uneventful. So I was quite surprised that while waiting for the bus in front of McDonalds, a large group of people came around the corner chanting “Jesus! Jesus!” They were passing out flyers promoting Jesus, and then congregated on the sidewalk engaging in such cheers as “Ain’t no party like a Holy Ghost party, ’cause a Holy Ghost party don’t stop!” I was both frightened and amazed by this, and almost considered not getting on the bus and staying to watch. Since the trip home is a long one, I ultimately opted to get on the bus.

Saturday was the Safeway BBQ Battle in DC. We’ve gone to this a few times in the past, and its usually pretty fun. First, we met up with one of Laura’s friends who was in town for work. To protect her good reputation, we’ll just call her Mrs. Sinkwiggle. Upon entering the festival, we made the mistake of heading right for the sampling tent, where they give you lots of free food samples. This is the most popular attraction at the fest, so the waiting time is close to an hour and a half. We were already hungry by the time we got in line, so we were starving by the time we actually got to the free food. After waiting in the hot sun for so long, and then quickly throwing down a lot of food on an empty stomach, we weren’t feeling that great. We continued to wander around, but the fest seemed more cramped than in years past, and there seemed to be fewer interactive booths and free stuff given out. It felt like the NBA display was taking up a lot more space than usual, as I seem to recall it being on a side street before. I did get a spiffy MASN T-shirt and a Geico bag, so it wasn’t a complete waste.

Anyway, after being engulfed in smoke, we decided to head to Sinkwiggle’s hotel in Dupont, pick up her bags and head home. Sadly, we completely forget to get off the Metro at Dupont Circle, and didn’t realize our mistake until three stops later.

That night, we were invited to a pool party out in Olney. The pool party was mostly attended by kickball people so the usual happenings went on. One member of our travelling party drank more wine than she thought, and was not in great shape when we left. I had to pull the car over a couple of times so that some of the excess wine could be expunged.

Sunday, I had a softball game scheduled at 2 PM. For some reason, the game before ours ran especially long. Actually, it was somewhat obvious why it took so long. The umpire must have been making his debut, as he seemed to have no clue about how to run a game. The teams were arguing and almost brawled on two occassions, and he didn’t seem to make any effort to take control. Finally, after 2:30, we finally got to play. Sadly, we only had 9 players, which included Nat who is near crippled right now. Our frightening combination of no speed and no power allowed us to get shut out in the first game. We finally managed to score in the second game, but still lost.

After coming home and resting for a brief time, I accompanied Laura to the Pearl Jam concert at the Verizon Center. I’m not the biggest PJ fan, but Laura really wanted to go. It was a good show, despite the annoying people in front of us. It was two girls and two guys, probably in their early 20s. They first were openly smoking a joint (which to their credit, they did offer around) and the two girls proceeded to talk throughout the entire concert. This is actually a pretty difficult thing to accomplish considering how loud it was. They also felt the need to take about fifteen pictures of themselves together, and the entire group felt inclined to shout “Eddie!” every five seconds.

I’ve noticed that a concert audience is kind of like a dog when its owner goes away. As soon as the band goes offstage, the audience is only consumed by when they are coming back. And when the band returns, they act like it is the single greatest event of their lives.

We got home relatively late, and unfortunately, our upstairs neighbor decided that today would be an early morning where he walked around the bedroom a lot. So I’m a bit tired. And its hot in the office. This is gonna be a long work week.


About The Cutter

I am the Cutter. I write some stuff. You might like it, you might not. Please decide for yourself.
This entry was posted in Randomness. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Weekend Happenings

  1. laural2979 says:

    Eddie, Eddie, Eddie!!!!!

  2. Sammy says:

    this blog posting isn’t much better than the first

    i’m disappointed you didn’t get jumbo slice in DC though

  3. John Stewart says:

    Sadly I have reinjured my leg, definitely out of action next weekend. I wonder if anyone other than you will get the joke about my name.

Got Something to Say?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s