Oh So Sick

Up until this point, I had managed to remain remarkably healthy this year.  This is kind of amazing since I don’t have the greatest immune system, and seem to get at least one bad cold a year.  Considering all of the extra stress, sleepless nights, and exposure to small children I’ve dealt with this year, it is a small miracle that I’ve been healthy up until now.

That is no longer the case.  I am now officially sick.

Being sick sucks.  Being sick with a baby sucks even more.  I started to feel crappy on Sunday, and just kept getting worse as the day went on.  I wanted to help out with the Cutlet as much as possible, but also wanted to avoid contaminating her, since sick babies are apparently no picnic.

Regardless of my intentions, she seems to be having some issues of her own as she is somewhat congested, hasn’t been eating well, and has thrown up several times.  Fortunately, she has been in remarkably good spirits while feeling ill, and doesn’t seem to be in too much discomfort.

On the other hand, I have felt horrible.  On Sunday night I actually went to bed before the completeion of the Phillies’ playoff game – an amazing feat for me – in an attempt to get a good night’s sleep.  It didn’t work.  I woke up at 3:30 with intense sinus pain and nausea.

I knew that I would have to treat the situation as if I was suffering from a bad hangover.  But while I had a plan of attack, my brain felt like it was on fire, and I was freezing, so it was difficult to actually carry out the necessary steps.

Finally, I mustered enough determination to take action.  First, I grabbed a fleece from my closet to help keep me warm.  Then to the bathroom to grab some bismuth tablets and ibuprofen.  Next, I went into the kitchen to get the Sprite Zero out of the fridge and the Cheerios out of the pantry.  I took the bismuth tablets, drank the soda, and ate the Cheerios.  Those steps would hopefully prevent my stomach from rejecting the ibuprofen.  If I couldn’t keep ibuprofen down, then there wouldn’t be much hope for me.

Once I felt satisfied that the contents of my stomach would remain inside, I took the ibuprofen, huddled under some blankets and tried to get back to sleep.  Eventually, I passed out on the couch, and woke up a little later feeling better and covered in sweat.  The fever had broken.

Unfortunately, the Cutlet woke up earlier than usual, and with me pretty much out of commission, Mrs. Cutter was forced to take care of her by herself.  After a too early morning, a full work day, and trying to handle a mildly sick baby (as well as a sick husband), Mrs. Cutter is feeling a bit down herself.  Hopefully, I recover in time to help her out.

Random Thought of the Week

In the checkout line at Safeway, I noticed that they have DVDs for sale.  The choices available on this day were Dear John and Kick-A$$ (they had to put a sticker over the name of the movie).

I realize that impulse buys at the checkout counter are a big part of how supermarkets do business.  But does anyone really get to the counter and think, “Oh, Dear John is for sale!  I have to buy it!”

Are there that many Channing Tatum completists out there?

Random Picture Found on the Web

It’s Reading Rambo!

Commercial Analysis of the Week

This one has been very prominent during NFL games.  It’s Sprint’s latest offering:

This is a very well done commercial.  I think many of us can understand the reluctance to perform operations on our cell phones for fear of paying extra charges. 

But really, this commercial is great because of the actor playing the doctor. His timing is perfect.

Top Five of the Week

I don’t know if this is really a top five list.  More like my Bottom Five Illnesses.

5. The flu – In second grade, I kept getting sick.  I think the peak of my illnesses was when I had a 104 degree fever and was pretty much delirious.

4. Food poisoning – I had some leftover cookie dough cheesecake from The Cheesecake Factory.  Apparently, it didn’t keep well.  I started feeling sicker and sicker until everything was violently rejected from my body.  At least the quick rejection had me feeling better relatively quickly.

3. Stomach flu – Recovering from mono (see #1) I managed to contract a horrible stomach flu.  I couldn’t keep anything down and could barely move.  I think I called my grandmother telling her I wasn’t sure I’d make it.

2. Staph infection on my leg – I had a tick bite which got infected.  It swelled up into a huge, nasty looking rash on my leg.  When my leg went numb and I felt feverish, I started to get a bit concerned.

1. Mono – Nothing makes your freshman year at college more fun than getting mono!  I was miraculously somehow mostly functional through my time with the disease though.


About The Cutter

I am the Cutter. I write some stuff. You might like it, you might not. Please decide for yourself.
This entry was posted in Weekcap. Bookmark the permalink.

Got Something to Say?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s